Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Social media

Today is Ash Wednesday. Many Christians practice giving something up for Lent. Today, I’m choosing to give up social media. And I want to spend a little time talking about social media and the benefit and the time sucker it also can be.

What are the benefits of social media? You can keep in touch with people that you haven’t talked to or seen in years. At a glance, you can keep up with lots of people. You can get exposure to lots of ideas and insights from others.

Why is it a time sucker? Well, it just is. The keeping up with others, the “conversations” or arguments that go on can suck so much time. And there are many, many other reasons.

So why am I giving it up for Lent? Well, I’ve spent January focused on eating, I’ve spent the end of January and February focused on exercise, and social media is something that I’ve let distract me from lots of things in life.

The “experts” on blogging would say that it’s pretty silly for me to start a blog in December, and about 2 months after starting it, basically quit the one form of getting the word out about it for 40 days. But after thought and prayer, I feel that taking a break from social media is what I need to be able to gain focus in my life. To be able to really start honing in another aspect of discipline in my life. So, after I share about this post on Facebook and Twitter, I’ll be logging out of them and not posting until after Easter. What will I gain? Obviously discipline. Focus. Time. Happiness. Figuring out what’s most important. And those are things I look forward to.

So I’ll still be blogging every Monday, Wednesday and Friday....but I won’t be sharing it on social media. So please do keep checking out the blog and share about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How do you best store digital things part 2

Yesterday, I wrote about how to best store your digital documents. You can find that here . Today, the focus is going to be on pictures. Gon...